"Adelaide is a thoroughly modern town, with all the merits and all the defects attaching to novelty. It does not possess the spirit of enterprise to so adventurous a degree as Melbourne, but neither does it approach to the languor of Sydney." - R. Twopeny, 1883

Saturday 20 October 2012

An apology, a TV recommendation, and a list

I'm sorry for not blogging for awhile and leaving you hanging with the photo from the last post.

It's Bonython Hall at the University of Adelaide on North Terrace and, unfortunately, I don't actually have a post for it right now! HERE is a photo of it when it was first built and HERE is some brief information about its history. I love that Bonython wanted it to have sloping floors so people couldn't dance there!

I feel like all I do lately is make apologies for not being able to do anything besides uni work, but the year's almost finished and then I'll have plenty of time to write here!

Have any of you been watching Tony Robinson's Time Walks? Adelaide is the last episode and I can't wait to see where he visits!

For now, I have a list of some Adelaide history questions that have been running around my head for a couple of weeks and, I'm sure, will be answered here at some point:
1. Why is there a statue of Robert Burns outside the State Library?
2. What was on the State Library site (the new building with the glass front) before? I know there was the library built in the 1960s, which was demolished for the new library, but what was there before that?
3. What was on the UniSA City West site before UniSA City West? I know it has street names (George Street, Fenn Place, Register Street), so I assume it had houses - I've done a little bit of research into this already and, let me tell you, it's pretty juicy. 


Corner of Fenn Place and North Terrace: I have a feeling this little angel face could tell some amazing stories if they could talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments; I really appreciate them :)