"Adelaide is a thoroughly modern town, with all the merits and all the defects attaching to novelty. It does not possess the spirit of enterprise to so adventurous a degree as Melbourne, but neither does it approach to the languor of Sydney." - R. Twopeny, 1883

Tuesday 27 November 2012

Adelaide: Then and Now

I was just checking the news on AdelaideNow and this article caught my eye.

It shows beautiful panorama shots of Adelaide streets from 1936. I love how so many buildings are still standing, although it was a bit sad to some of the less-than-attractive modern buildings were once cute Victorian terraces. I particularly liked the Hindley Street photo - the buildings are exactly the same, but instead of a Coffee Palace in 1936, 2012 has an 'adult book shop' and takeaway food. The Rundle Street East photo is probably the most interesting, with two-storey buildings in 1936 where a road is today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments; I really appreciate them :)